1. Those who truly believe are born again!
2. Love marks us as God’s children, members of His family!
3. God’s commands are designed to facilitate and encourage love.
4. Living God’s way is freeing, not burdensome!
5. By faith we overcome the world!
Questions for further thought or discussion:
- What does genuine faith in Jesus Christ look like?
- What is the connection between love for others and obeying God’s commands?
- In what ways are we freed from burdens when we choose to live in obedience and love?
- In what ways does faith help us to overcome when confronted with the world’s way of living and thinking?
Lord, the new life you have given me in Christ! Teach me to walk in your ways and to faithfully love my brothers and sisters.
1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?